My friend, Mckenzie had a great idea today. Now that it’s coming down to the last few days of the year, it’s time to look back on what I’ve learned.
Here’s my list:
1. You can teach your kids, you can try to guide them, and in the end, they will do what they want – no matter what you say. This is a natural progression of life, and there’s nothing you can do about it.
2. When you meet people that make you feel better about yourself, say thank you, and appreciate them. NEVER take them for granted, or they’ll go away again.
3. Give back when you can. Even if it’s just a little. Every little bit helps.
4. Pay it forward when you can. Even if it’s just a little. Every little bit helps.
5. Just because you share some of the same DNA, doesn’t make them any more special than those you choose to be with. Blood is not always thicker than the alternative.
6. You need to find a reason to get out of bed every morning. It won’t always just happen.
7. Stop saying “someday, I’ll”. Do it, or at least – Try.
8. Keeping things bottled up, causes explosions, often at the most inopportune time.
9. The people that love you truly, will always love you – truly.
10. Giving yourself a hard time is truly a waste of time, other people will happily do it for you.
11. Your faith is yours. It’s personal, and it should be that way.
12. Life really is short.
13. So make memories whenever you get the chance.
14. Make sure that the people you love, know it. Say it. Out loud. To them. Often.
15. Reading can be the perfect temporary escape.
16. Shit happens.
17. Shit also washes off.
18. It’s not about how fast you get to the finish line, or how may toys you bring with you, it’s about enduring through the marathon, and simply making it.
19. Mindfulness doesn’t mean you always have to be happy, it just means you must be aware. Be present.
20. Balance is temporary. So is chaos. It keeps things interesting enough to stay awake.
21. You’re allowed to not be happy.
22. Emotions are there for a reason. Acknowledge them, figure out why you’re having them, and be honest about them. You’ll be better off.
23. Leave room for laughter.
24. Sometimes, the best thing you can give your kids, is space.
25. Leave a night-light on. It can get awfully dark some nights.
Great List Brea! #’s 12, 16, 23….. Awesome! Those three things, ran together, would make a heck of a T-shirt! I am so priviledged to have found you as a friend! Have a great day!
You too! As for the t-shirt, like the one from Forrest Gump? With the brown, muddy, smily face that looks like a smear of poo?
Yeah, I could see that. 😉
I liked #16 & 17. Sometimes we forget that the worst will get better.
This was such a great blog. Fridays I repost a blog that I liked during the week. Permission to repost tomorrow this particular blog?
Wise and wonderful words.
Aw, thanks back atcha!
Wonderful list, Brea! All fabulous. 🙂
Thanks, lil k! You had a good idea there!
Pingback: Favorite Blog Friday « Marina Sleeps's Blog
I love your list and every one is so true. we need to remember them and use them daily.
Thanks! It’s been a “hard lessons” year here, but the blessings have been great as well. Thanks for the nice comment and for visiting!
I’ve learned that rabies hurt. Oh, and never trust a Nazi.
Absolutely. *nodding head solemnly*
Great post! Shit happens and that same shit washes off. Beautifully said, written, typed, whatever…lol
Thanks! My dad was the one that told me over and over as I was growing up about it washing off, and no matter how stinky, gross and yuck it is, it’s always good to remember that you CAN wash it off eventually. That’s been a big help getting through this year.
Wow. 9 and 11 really hit me hard today–something I definitely needed to hear. Thanks for the post! Hope you’re well.
Thank you! Things are looking up, so *crossing fingers, eyes & toes* here’s wishing for a PEACEFUL New Year for everyone!
My grandmother had this saying that she would tell me when I was going through a trying time:
“Nothing is as bad as it seems… Nothing is as good as it seems… Nothing is as it seems.”
THAT is very true, thanks for sharing! I like that one!
What a great post! Very uplifting. Do you mind if I re post?
LOL, go right ahead!
Pingback: Friday Filosophy 12/31/10 | Brea's Air
Pingback: Lessons Learned. (via Brea’s Air) « Sendie Lou – Sunflowerslady