Here are some pictures of the newest trees I’ve made.
This one (above) I was going to put in my Etsy shop, but ended up selling it to my boss.
This next one, I made for myself… but I might end up selling it as well, as my boss has now ordered 3 more!
It’s a little bigger than the first one, & has more little details, like a ghost, hat & broom.
So, now I’m busy creating more. I might even start making sets of miniatures for my Etsy shop, since the sculpting is so much fun, and I can make multiple items at once. We’ll see once I get this new order filled. (And I’d better get back to it, since I only have a week to make all 3!)
Now, for the particulars for those who are interested…
1. The “log” is something I found at Hobby Lobby, & it’s called “cactus wood”. I stuffed it with craft moss after affixing the trees to it.
2. The sculpted items (pumpkins, cats, hat) are made from colored Sculpey, a polymer clay that oven bakes in about 10-15 minutes. I love this stuff, and have used it for years!
3. The ghost is a different type of clay called “Creative Paperclay”. This was my first time working with it, and it’s a very different clay than I’m used to. I’m still not sure how much I like it, but it is very light-weight, and air dries over a day or 2.
4. The broom I also picked up at Hobby Lobby, in the miniatures department. You can also sometimes find these in the scrapbooking area.
5. The only things I painted on any of this is the stems on the pumkins, the cats’ eyes, and the face “holes” on the 2nd tree. On the first tree, I tried black Sculpey in the face holes, but didn’t really like the way it turned out.
6. The trees themselves are aluminum, 20 gauge craft/jewelry wire. Again, Hobby Lobby. (I spend waaay too much time and money in there, I might need an intervention)
7. Everything but the trees are glued down with an epoxy called “Goop”. Stinks to high heaven for a while, but I haven’t found anything yet that works as well.
I’m going to keep experimenting, try to figure out how to do trees for each holiday, or at least, each season.
Christmas trees are going to be…interesting….