Trying to remind myself of the good things that do happen, I decided to make mental notes of small, happy things.
1. My pumpkin patch is growing like mad! I have 1 that’s about the size of a baby’s head right now, & at least one more possible that’s the size of a kiwi…
2. I finally saw a monarch butterfly yesterday! I’ve been wondering where they were this year, with everything I’ve read about the troubles they’ve been having…and I saw one! It gave me a smile, and a happy memory of the kids & me taking care of one a few years ago, then releasing it into the park.
(Sneaky Pete from a few years ago when we released him)
3. I found some new series to watch on Netflix. The Shanarra Chronicles (already hooked on this one, & can’t wait for the next season to come out), Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Penny Dreadful (these last ones I haven’t started yet, so have no other comment). I finished Gilmore Girls again, and I’m eagerly (rabidly) waiting for the new episodes to start in November!
4. I have a lone daisy growing wild in my yard. It popped up out of nowhere, it’s small, & not perfect… But, it’s tough, and determined.
5. Onlyson started his senior year today. He is also turning 18 in 2 days! My youngest, my baby, will be registering with Selective Service in just a few days. Oy. Where did the time go? I want to do something nice for this big day, but he’ll be going to his dad’s this weekend, so I won’t see him till Sunday.
I’m trying to be more mindful, more open to recognizing the happier things that happen from day to day. Some days, it’s easier than others.