I am not a hand-covered giggle…
I am a low, husky, evil-coated chuckle.
I am not a soft-petaled rose, dainty & fragrant.
I am a dandelion, feral, rugged, considered by some a weed, by some a flower, & by some just a pest. But I am nearly impossible to eradicate, have a zillion purposes & manage to find ways to pop up everywhere I want to, & some places that seem impossible. I am ninja that way.
I am not a 4-star restaurant, catering to the rich & famous, with French cuisine, linen napkins & tiny servings of impossible to pronounce foods.
I am a Mom&Pop diner, serving comfort food, barely making ends meet, serving meals to homeless folks on a picnic table out back when I get a free minute, because I can’t stand to see hungry faces.
I am not an average day at the beach. (ha-ask around, the laughter will tell you)
I am a slow wander through a darkened forest, with a very high chance of getting lost, because there is no path to follow. But then…there are all those interesting places to find, too…
I am not a light beer to be chugged, because you want to finally get to second base with that blonde…
I am that dark, smoky bourbon you’ve been dying to sip, slowly, decadently, all evening, next to the fire.
I am not a coy, flirtatious sidelong glance, eyes lowered quickly away…
I am the frank appraisal, genuine appreciation and eyebrow lifted.
I am not water-cooler small talk, or office gossip.
I am the thoughtful pause before the insight.
I am not a young thing, any longer, but that does not preclude me from being vital.
I am deeper, richer, far more now than I ever was back then.
I contain multitudes, universes, infinities, within me now, that did not exist then.
I am so much more than I was…
You should see me now…..
But you won’t
Because you have your eyes closed.
There’s a code,
Written into the pieces of me
Mysterious and complex
It speaks in forms unknown
Turning this on, turning that off
Flipping genetic switches at seeming random
Lighting fires within, only to douse them later, with no explanation or apology
It’s a book, 50, 100, 1 million volumes thick, written in a language I cannot read
My own body and mind, a saga I cannot comprehend without another’s key.
“The Divine Mystery” some may call it, as they turn away from the puzzle to things they can digest. The depth and breadth of the conundrum too much for them to contemplate, they have no further wish to attempt the struggle.
But for me, I wish to delve deeper, to try to understand the whys and wherefores, the hows and whats of Me.
I seek, not only to understand for my own self, but to translate – to gain understanding, the internal “ah-hah!” from others. To see the light go on when they understand that I am the way I am because…THIS. And THAT. And THESE.
Logic and science dance seductively with emotion and faith, all swirling in their patterns together, intertwining in hypnotic rythmns, only to break violently & inexplicably from each other for no apparent reason. Then, quietly meeting again in the middle of the dance floor, to touch hands & make apologies, while agreeing to disagree.
Where does the dance begin? How does it end? And what is the meaning of that complicated bobble of steps in the middle? These are things I seek, words I reach for.
But first, I must decode my skin, my organs, my brain. I must Translate Me.
And that…might take a minute.
*written in response to the Daily Prompt*
I am so very tired today, as though the whole weight of the year has descended upon my body in this one day. I’ve slept so long today, only waking at 3pm, & I can still feel the heaviness dragging at me…
But, I feel the need to write, to tally the happenings of this year, and so, I come here to lay down all I can remember. This will be a fragmented account, not linear, but more likely, a simple recounting of the things I recall best.
* I bought a different vehicle. My Mitsubishi gave up on me, with too many problems I couldn’t get fixed without spending way too much money, I simply couldn’t justify keeping it any longer. I sold it to someone who was able to do much of the work himself, thereby saving himself from having to spend all that money I would’ve had to on labor. Instead, I bought a little pickup from my dad. It is a good vehicle, if smaller & lower clearance than I’m used to, but it does the job admirably.
* I took some horse back riding “lessons”. More just “sessions”, really, as I grew up with horses & rode most of my young life. They were fun until it got really cold, & as much as I miss riding, I’m pretty much done with the sessions, even though we’re supposed to have a couple makeups, due to bad weather, I don’t think I want to do them anymore. I got what I wanted from it.
* My EldestDaughter is pregnant with my second grandchild, and is due in Feb. She & the grandson moved out of my home in April, moving to Washington state with her boyfriend. They are good for each other, & I hope they continue to build their family in the new year with all the humor, love, & compassion possible. Even though I miss them horribly, this is a good move for her, & I send them all good things for this upcoming year.
*OnlySon turned 18 this year, & is set to graduate in May. He’s started really enjoying his autonomy, making choices for himself & deciding on what his next steps will be toward independence. I worry for him, as independence is not something he likes, relying on his father, who was always a helicopter parent, to pick up where he leaves off & make decisions. My hope for him this year is that he truly learns the value of being his own man, working hard for what he wants, & goes after it.
* Youngerdaughter is the opposite – she is completely independent, living on her own, & working a job she really enjoys. She is straightforward, goal-oriented, & determined to do her best in every situation. I am so proud to be her mom, & I marvel at her all the time. I truly enjoy our talks on the phone ( “Oh, one more thing I have to tell you”, after we’ve been talking for an hour), and the few times we’re able to get together to visit.
*I’m thinking of shutting down my Etsy shop. I’ve had a handful of sales since I opened, & it is just a hobby shop for me, but the legalities & business side of things are beginning to wear on me. I don’t know if I really want it anymore. We’ll see what 2017 presents.
*My love life continues to elude. I’ve heard from many that if I stop looking, it’ll find me, but I don’t think so. In order for love to find you, you have to be visible, & I am not. I don’t “go out”, I don’t mingle, I hate crowds & shopping in public. How is love going to find me at home, curled up in my chair with a book?
And, anyway, the men I’ve met always have some reason they’re unattainable, anyway.
1. Geographic issues. We’ve talked for 3 1/2 years, & he still hasn’t come to see me as he’s promised, & the country he’s in is impossible for me to visit, due to many reasons. He proclaims love loudly & often, but has broken every promise he’s made. Anyone who knows me, knows that if you don’t keep your word with me, I will stop trusting anything you say…and then it’s pretty much over. I don’t want to give up on this possibility, but there doesn’t seem to be any reason to continue. I’ve given 3 1/2 years of my life…how much more time does he think he has to prove himself?
Maybe this is my fault…I should’ve stopped it all years ago & not taken him back after the first argument. Why didn’t I? Because the heart is blind, deaf & stubborn. And, maybe, because having him in the background keeps me from getting hurt by anyone else. There’s always the excuse of “Oh, sorry, I can’t get to know you or date you because I’m seeing someone who’s out of the country”. *sigh*
Me and my love of impossible relationships…
2. Vulnerability issues. I understand not wanting to be hurt again after bad experiences…I do. Been there, done that, still wearing the tread marks. BUT, if you never trust, you never get the benefits of real love. If growing older alone holds no problem for you, *shrug* I guess I can’t say anything to change that, but I don’t want that life for myself. I still wonder, sometimes, if he ever thinks about me & regrets his decision. I dreamt about him not long ago, & have had a terrible urge to email him. I haven’t done so, but the feeling is still there.
3. Commitment issues. Twice burned, forever shy, I guess. Been there, too, with 2 failed marriages under my belt, I know what it’s like. But, I don’t want to give up on the possibility of love. I won’t let myself love someone who isn’t willing to commit. We can be friends, but that’s all I’ll ever give. He’ll never know what could’ve been, after throwing it away. And someday, even the friendship will fade until it is gone altogether. That’s just how it works.
*I want to travel. I want to see my nephew in Georgia. He is my best friend, and I miss him something chronic. He wants me to move down South after my son graduates, & I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t thought about it.
* My job is going well. After one of the other ladies moved away, I was tasked with assuming many of her duties, & it keeps me busier than ever. I had a good evaluation this year, & I’m proud of the work I’ve done. I still like what I do, but I could do without the bullying that happens occasionally. No job is perfect, however, so I just take the lumps with the sweet, & keep going.
*I’ve been working on improving my house, when I can, and as I can afford it. It’s slow, as money isn’t overly abundant, but progress is being made, & that’s the important part. One day, I will sell it and move on to elsewhere. Where to and when this will happen? I don’t know yet…but, my feet itch, & I am tired of snow.
*I’ve been spending a lot more time learning about Introversion and how it relates to me. After taking that personality test a few months ago, & learning I fit the INFJ type, I’ve discovered so many true statements about who I am & where I want to go next. This journey doesn’t stop here, it simply opens different doors.
*Oh, yeah…almost forgot. I’ve been published in someone else’s book again.
In 2011, I wrote a post about Dr. Bohdan Hordinsky, a man I knew when I was younger. A couple of years ago, someone who used to live in my hometown contacted me, asking if he could use some of it in a book he was writing about his own life. I said “Sure, just give me credit for whatever you use”, & mostly forgot about it.
This year, he contacted me again, to tell me the book had been published, & is now available in places like Barnes & Noble, on Amazon, & like places. He also sent me a copy of the book, with a handwritten note.
He used the whole post, copying it word for word, & gave me total credit for it, even including me in the acknowledgments. It’s pretty cool, having been published 3 times now, twice for writing, once for photography, but always in others’ books. My nephew insists that I should write my own book, but I don’t know if I have the patience or the business acumen for it. It’s a lot of work, & I write for pleasure. Would it still be pleasurable if I took that route? I’m not so sure.
Well, there you have it…a little time encapsulated. I wonder…if I plant these seeds, what kind of garden would come up next spring? Would I get lovely flowers, or thorny & noxious weeds?
Maybe I should just put them in the ground and find out…
I’m so glad I’m able to post things to my blog from my phone. And that WordPress allows me enough autonomy to set up “timed” posts.
Because I ended up with another migraine, today, and wouldn’t have been able to post anything coherent.
I’ve been trying really hard to post on a more regular basis, after having been mostly absent from the blogging world for a while, and have been mostly successful on that score. It’s been helping me a lot, while I try to figure out what’s going on inside my head, and in my life.
There have been a lot of changes in my life over the last 5 years, since my divorce, that I haven’t completely processed, so I’m working on them.
There are going to be a lot of changes going on in my life over this upcoming year, as well, so I’m also trying to get a jump on that.
Luckily, WordPress makes it possible for me to type posts whenever I want, and set a time and day for them to appear on my blog, so I do try to space those out, but sometimes I forget, as I’m wont to do, occasionally.
So, if you see posts popping up, seemingly randomly, or a bunch all in one day, that’s why.
I’m working, internally, on a lot of stuff, right now, so please excuse if I overload a little.
And now, for a few words from the “Wise” Old Witch…
Spend what time you have wisely, for once it’s passed, you don’t get it back, and you can’t change it.
Do what you love.
Do what makes you happy.
Do the things that stir your passions, that excite your senses, that fuel the fire that lives within.
Spend your time with people who encourage you, who challenge you & push you to be better, to be more, than you are today, for they’re the ones who will help you fill that time with love, contentment, happiness & fulfillment.
Walk your path with your head up, eyes open & heart willing, for you will never walk this way again.
As another wise old bastard once said :
“When the ship lifts, all debts are paid. No regrets.” ~Robert Heinlein
There is no such thing as Pure Truth.
There are half-truths, opinions and theories, little white lies, fibs and falsehoods.
All tinged with truth, shaded with it- saturated, sometimes, but never wholly pure.
Truth is fluid and changing, flexing itself around the circumstances and actions of those viewing it. It slides around corners, twisting itself into complicated knots; then suddenly unwinding into simplicity and clarity at the oddest moments.
But, never is there a pure and shining one and only Truth.
Opinion varies the hue of Truth, according to the person living in the moment of it.
Challenging to seek, impossible to hold onto, Truth squirms in the grasp of the Seeker, slipping from their grip, only to shine enticingly at them from behind the next tree, down at the end of the next forest path.
If only I could get to the Truth, you sigh and gaze longingly after its escape.
I’d be happy if I could just know the Truth.
But the Truth can be a hive of wasps for the Seeker. It stings and burns those who have not prepared, armored themselves against the possibility of pain. It scars, Truth does. Searing a path of light in its wake, it clears away all distraction, all the garbage we surround ourselves with in our daily lives.
It strips away the defenses and leaves you vulnerable and bare to its blazing light.
But it can also set you free.
As long as you don’t seek to keep it hostage.
Truth is subjective. Your Truth and mine are not alike, possibly wouldn’t be friends, maybe wouldn’t even notice each other in passing or lift a hand in hello.
If you seek Truth, keep this in mind.
Truth is never pure.
It may cause you pain.
But along the way, if you let it…
It can set you free.